Charity & Not for Profit Law
Kutty, Syed & Mohamed has a proud history of being counsel to a number of charities and not-for-profit organizations.
We provide services targeted toward charity and not-for-profit organizations, and also utilize the expertise of the firm’s lawyers to assist in other areas of legal practice such as litigation, real estate and employment law.
We have acted for schools, charities, religious groups, foundations, cultural groups and professional organizations.
We provide advice to non-profit and charitable organizations on the following:
- Legal issues specific to the sector in which the organization operates
- Handling and management of corporate law matters, including meeting procedures, letters patent and by-laws
- Income tax issues, including charitable registration with the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) and compliance with CRA requirements
- Board of Director fiduciary duties and governance concerns
- Technology matters, including online agreements, transactions and trademark disputes
- Employment law matters, including human rights
- Fundraising issues
- Compliance with money laundering and anti-terrorism legislation
- Privacy legislation issues
By being creative, understanding and flexible, we provide caring solutions to assist clients in achieving the objectives specific to their particular organizations at a reasonable cost that reflects the financial restraints on these groups.